- This event has passed.
Asheville Area Asynchronous Adventure Race (AAAAR)
September 19, 2020 - October 31, 2020$65 – $180
Looking to get your feet wet in the world of Adventure Racing?
Join us for the inaugural Asheville Area Asynchronous Adventure Race (AAAAR) in beautiful Western North Carolina, a pseudo-virtual race aimed at NOVICE Adventure Racers.
Using a smartphone app for SELF-TIMING AND SCORING, soloists and teams will complete self-supported BIKE, TREK, and PADDLE legs using SELF-PRINTED COURSE MAPS any time during the event window. Combined lowest time of successful leg completion at the end of the event window wins.
The event window opens on 8 am Saturday morning, September 19, 2020 (Int’l Talk Like a Pirate Day) and closes at sundown, Octobaaaar 31, 2020.
Benefits of an asynchronous race:
- COVID-friendly in that there is no required gathering. You show up to each venue, do your own leg on your own schedule, and maintain social distance.
- Print-at-home course maps and hands-free timing reduces personal interaction even further.
- Novice adventure racers can take their time getting acquainted with the disciplines before tackling a proper AR.
Racers may elect to tackle their on separate, non-consecutive days over the course of the event window. Racers who elect to complete their legs in a single day will have their results split off onto a separate listing. On-course selfies are encouraged but not required. Racers must transport themselves to and from the venues and are responsible for their own medical, safety, and emergency extraction. All participants must agree to the Waiver of Liability at the time of registration.
NOTE: The smartphone timing app UsynligO is a third-party application with which we are not affiliated, nor able to alter in-event results until the race is over, at which time we will publish our own, permanent results on the Northline Navigation website.
Asynchronous AR (can be completed in any order)
- Bike – (15-20 miles)
- Trek – (15-20 miles)
- Paddle – French Broad River (6 miles)
Synchronous AR (Must be completed in the prescribed order. Clock never stops. Approx 5-12 hours)
- Segment 1 – Bike (15-20 miles)
- Segment 2 – Trek (15-20 miles)
- Segment 3 – Paddle (6 miles)
- The clock never stops between segments
Want to avoid the water? Skip the Paddle leg and do just the Bike and Trek legs for a $10 per person fee reduction.
Approximately 35-45 miles
Racers will provide their own:
- Self-printed color map (provided as a PDF)
- Smartphone to run the timing app
- Mountain bike and helmet (gravel bikes are okay – just make sure they’re durable enough for semi-technical single track)
- Canoe or kayak or SUP and PFD
- Magnetic compass
- Emergency space blanket
- Suitable hydration and fuel
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- GPS watch as a backup for UsynligO (optional)
- Bear repellant (just kidding)
- Solo – $75 ($65 for No-Paddle Option)
- 2 person team – $120 ($60 per person) ($100 for No-Paddle Option)
- 3 person team – $180 ($60 per person) ($150 for No-Paddle Option)
Post-race Livelox Replay
Participants who choose to share their GPX routes with us will have them added to a Livelox Replay for post-race analysis, public scrutiny, and comic relief.