Gap to Grove 2021: The 4 and 12 Hour Valley Challenge
September 4 @ 7:00 am - 7:00 pm$30 – $75
*this is not an official race*
Gap to Grove 2021 is a 4 hour and a 12 hour navigation challenge in and around Black Mountain, NC. Registration will launch on Friday, June 11th and entries will be extremely limited.
30 spaces will be available in the 4 hour challenge, and only 20 for the 12 hour.
Participants will receive their maps and instructions prior to the challenge date. On challenge day, September 4, the schedule will be:
- 7:00am-8:00am- 12 hour challenge start (staggered to reduce following)
- 9:00am-10:00am- 4 hour challenge start (staggered to reduce following)
- 2:00pm- 4 hour cutoff, awards presentation
- 8:00pm- 12 hour cutoff, awards presentation
You will receive a waterproof orienteering style map of the greater Swannanoa Valley area that shows a starting area at Mountain Running Company along with checkpoints throughout the valley. Some G2G checkpoints are located on mountain trails and some are located within town limits. The 4 hour challenge stays within the immediate Black Mountain area.
The goal is to get to every checkpoint and to the finish as quickly as possible. The checkpoints can be visited in any order. If you make wise choices, your route could be 32-34 (or 12-14) miles even if you stay on trail/road the entire time. Make a bad choice? Who knows? Maybe there will be an award for the biggest mistake.
Scoring and Results
How does the timing work? We will be using a smartphone app (we will post instructions about how to download and use this app) that’s been programmed with the checkpoints. Live results will be kept up in real-time throughout the challenge timeframes. More to come, but you need a smartphone and a way to keep it going the whole time, at least 12 hours (or 4).
Swag and Awards
Swag: everybody is going to get an awesome buff (neck gaiter, whatever) with the G2G logo when they register. Sub-12 hour finishers of the challenge will receive an awesome technical running hat from BOCOgear. Top 3 male/female times for the year will get something awesome to be disclosed soon.
If, for whatever reason, you enter and then need to back out, you can contact us for a refund. There will be no refunds issued after July 31st.
Waiver of Liability – initial required at registration to indicate that you have read and agree to these terms.
IN CONSIDERATION of Relentless Running Events, Northline Navigation, L.L.C., Michael Guyer, Chris Gkikas (“Race Directors”) allowing me to purchase a Gap to Grove 12 Hour Valley Challenge map package, (the “Challenge”) I, for myself, and on behalf of my spouse, children, parents, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, hereby agree to and make the following contractual representations pursuant to this Waiver and Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement (this “Agreement”).
1. Physical Health. I hereby represent that (i) I am in good health and in proper physical condition to participate in the Challenge; and (ii) I am not under the influence of alcohol or any illicit or prescription drugs, and will not be under any such influence at the time of the Challenge which would in any way impair my ability to safely participate in the Challenge. I agree that it is my sole responsibility to determine whether I am sufficiently fit and healthy enough to participate in the Challenge.
2. I understand and acknowledge the physical and mental rigors associated with the Challenge, and realize that running, hiking, walking and other portions of such Challenges are inherently dangerous and represent an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits. I understand that I am solely responsible for the conditions of the areas in which I will be competing in Gap to Grove 12 Hour Valley Challenge and that Relentless Running Events, Northline Navigation, L.L.C., Michael Guyer, and Chris Gkikas have no control over these areas nor will they incur any liability if I should become injured during the competition. I understand that participation involves risks and dangers which include, without limitation, the potential for serious bodily injury, sickness and disease, permanent disability, paralysis and loss of life; loss of or damage to equipment/property; exposure to extreme conditions and circumstances; accidents, contact or collision with other participants, spectators, vehicles or other natural or manmade objects; dangers arising from adverse weather conditions; imperfect course conditions; water, road and surface hazards; equipment failure; inadequate safety measures; participants of varying skill levels; situations beyond the immediate control of the Challenge Organizers; and other undefined risks and dangers which may not be readily foreseeable or are presently unknown, including any unknown claims under Section 1542 of the California Civil Code (collectively, “Risks”). I understand that Relentless Running Events, Northline Navigation, L.L.C., Michael Guyer, and Chris Gkikas are not closing courses or providing any support whatsoever for the Gap to Grove 12 Hour Valley Challenge including safety equipment or completing safety protocols. I understand that these Risks may be caused in whole or in part by my own actions or inactions, the actions or inactions of others participating in the Challenge, or the acts, inaction or negligence of the Released Parties defined below, and I hereby expressly and voluntarily choose to assume all such Risks and responsibility for any damages, liabilities, losses or expenses which I incur as a result of my participation in the Challenge.
3. Release from Liability. I hereby Release, Waive, and Covenant Not to Sue, and further agree to Indemnify, Defend and Hold Harmless the following parties: Challenge Owners, Organizers and Promoters, Race Directors, and other participants in the Gap to Grove 12 Hour Valley Challenge, Sponsors, Advertisers, Venues and Property Owners upon which the Challenge takes place and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, partners, shareholders, members, agents, employees and volunteers (individually and collectively, the “Released Parties” or “Challenge Organizers”), with respect to any liability, claim(s), demand(s), cause(s) of action, damage(s), loss or expense (including court costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees) of any kind or nature (“Liability”) which may arise out of, result from, or relate to my participation in the Challenge, including claims for Liability caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the Released Parties. I further agree that if, despite this Agreement, I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim for Liability against any of the Released Parties, I will indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any such Liability which any may be incurred as the result of such claim.
4. Authorization to Collect and Use Data. While participating in the Challenge, I may provide to Challenge Organizers information such as my name, contact information, age, gender and other demographic, physical, physiological or identifying characteristics specifically requested from me. My participation in the Challenge is voluntary. By participating in the Challenge, and giving such data to the Challenge Organizers, I hereby grant the Challenge Organizers, or any of them, permission to collect, capture, record and store the data, and grant to each of the Challenge Organizers a license to use the data for any purposes whatsoever.